Saturday, May 19, 2007

Knitting Resolutions for 2007

I know, it's a little late to be making resolutions. Look. I was in India until May.

- deplete yarn stash AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE
- learn colour work
- make first sweater

Set the bar low people. In the past... 29 months that I've been knitting, I've had a problem with trying to do too much too soon. Before I left for India last November, I scaled back my knitting projects because I didn't want to start something huge and have to leave it for six months (which I did anyways). I spent a bunch of time knitting scarfs and playing around with knit/purl stitch patterns and realized how much there is to learn about this thing called knitting. Plus, once I scaled back my projects, they stopped sucking quite so hard. Woo!

Plus, scaling back is teaching me how to take (giant) liberties with patterns which is the first step towards me creating my own fun patterns out of yarn. I can now "read" my knitting as it progresses much better. I've learned pattern alteration math. I discovered that my stitch pattern book (which was my mother's) is my freakin' bible. I figured out how to use a stitch marker... which is stupidly easy. I don't know how I couldn't figure it out before. It was like Moses being handed the 10 Commandments when I figured it out: What needed to happen, but so ridiculously obvious.

Anyways, stunting my knitting growth has been the best thing for it. You gotta crawl before you can do backflips. Or something.

No comments: